This chocolate cake is packed full of goodness from chia seeds, to avocado and is tasty, healthy and a very nice desert option for entertaining friends, birthdays or just a special treat for the weekends. And with no refined sugar or gluten in sight you are guaranteed to have a healthier evening than most other chocolate cakes on the market.
Ingredients: (serves 8)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Quinoa
- 1 cup of dates
- 4 table spoons of cacao powder
- 1 table spoon baking powder
- 1 table spoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of water (450ml)
- 2 table spoons of chia seeds
- 2 Avocados
- 2 table spoons of cacao powder
- 2 table spoons of coconut oil
- 3 table spoons of agave nectar
- 2 shallow cake trays (8 inch)
- 1 Blender
- 1 Oven
- Measuring cups
- 2 table spoons
- 1 sharp knife
- 1 bowl or pot
- 1 Sieve
- Measure out 1 and 1/2 cups of quinoa and soak in water for 15 minutes in your pot or bowl
- Pre-heat your oevn to 180 degrees celcius
- Drain the quinoa and add back into the pot or bowl
- Measure out 1 cup of dates and add to the bowl
- Then add 4 table spoons of cacao powder, 1 table spoon of baking powder, 1 table spoon of vanilla extract, 450ml of water, 2 table spoons of chia seeds and mix this with the dates and quinoa.
- Blend the entire mixture and split into your two trays.
- Make sure the mixture is evenly spread between the two cake trays and add to the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- While that is cooking begin to mix your icing.
- Using your sharp knife slice and core two avocados and mix with 2 table spoons of cacao powder, 2 table spoons of coconut oil and 3 table spoons of agave nectar.
- Blend this mixture into a creamy chocolate icing.
- Remove the cake trays from the oven and allow them to cool for 20-30 minutes
- Then add a thick layer of icing to one cake and then add the second cake on top and repeat the icing process to give you your finished cake
- Add berries or coconut shavings to decorate (optional)
- As always enjoy (responsibly)
Nutritional Values: (per slice / makes 8 large slices)
- Protein – 4 grams
- Carbohydrates – 24 grams
- Fats – 9.5 grams
- Calories – 193 kcals